Statement regarding kangaroo management
Gippsland Water is implementing an approved management program at Dutson Downs to reduce the impact of kangaroos on improved pasture, crops, property and biodiversity.
Gippsland Water understands that kangaroos are a natural part of the Australian landscape, and do not wish to implement control measures any more than is necessary to protect the agricultural productivity and significant biodiversity conservation values of Dutson Downs.
The Dutson Downs property is 8,300 ha and more than one-third of this area is managed for cropping and stock grazing as a farm and a further 4,000 ha of native vegetation managed for biodiversity.
A Kangaroo Management Plan has been developed and approved to:
- Manage and minimise impacts caused by abundant kangaroo populations at Dutson Downs;
- Evaluate outcomes of previous monitoring and management of kangaroos to determine the best way to proceed;
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to provide strategic direction to the benefit of Gippsland Water, stakeholders and the environment;
- To support sustainable land use activities by managing the impacts of kangaroos at Dutson Downs.
Gippsland Water implements a range of activities to reduce the impact from kangaroos including electric fencing, high fences, scare guns, management of water points, the placement of crop and pasture and limited lethal measures. A permit from the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) to manage the kangaroo population on Dutson Downs will see an accredited professional contractor employed to undertake some of the activities.
Gippsland Water appreciates that this is an emotive topic for some people. However the kangaroo population has caused a long term management issue at the property. Any activities carried out under our Kangaroo Management Plan will be done by professional and accredited contractors.
Gippsland Water’s Kangaroo Management program complies with all relevant legislation and Codes of Practice including the:
- Wildlife Act 1975
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986
- National Code of Practice for Humane Shooting of Kangaroos and Wallabies
Gippsland Water’s Kangaroo Management Plan can be found online.
All media enquiries:
Please contact the Communications and Engagement Manager on (03) 5177 4793 or 0448 905 833