Using precious water wisely
Target Your Water Use is a voluntary water efficiency program to assist and encourage regional Victorians to use water wisely.
The program applies to residential and business urban water customers in regional Victoria.
Using water responsibly is everyone’s opportunity to help secure water supplies and create greener and more liveable communities for now and into the future.
We can all play a part
Climate change poses a serious risk to our water future. We know that, over the long-term, there will be less rainfall, less run-off into our rivers and storages and more severe and prolonged droughts.
Population growth in our regional cities and towns is also placing increasing pressure on our water storages.
A diverse range of water sources and efficiency measures are needed to help ensure there will be enough water to meet all our needs now and into the future.
Target Your Water Use is about taking a long-term view about our water usage habits and ensuring all Victorians can access the information they need to make informed decisions about the water they use.
We all have a role in responsible water use and by using water wisely we can help secure water supplies and create greener and more liveable communities now and into the future.
Helping you to target your water use
Working in collaboration, regional urban water corporations are providing resources to help you use water wisely.
- Permanent Water Saving Rules Common sense rules to assist with conserving water now and for the future.
- Schools education program – Across Victoria, local water corporations are engaging with primary, secondary and tertiary students to educate them on the water cycle and how to use water wisely. Find out more about our education program.
- Schools Water Efficiency Program (SWEP) – The program enables schools to track their water usage using data loggers. By monitoring water use, schools can detect and fix leaks, saving water and money.
- Comparative water usage – Water customers can see how much water they have used compared to previous months and years simply by looking at their bill. Armed with this information they can make more informed choices about when and how to use water more efficiently.
- National Water Week – Each year National Water Week makes a splash across Australia, inspiring individuals, education providers, communities and organisations to work together to build community awareness and understanding of water-related issues.
- Urban Water Strategy – All Victorian water businesses are engaging with their customers and local communities to develop their Urban Water Strategies. These strategies will outline how water businesses will manage demand for, and ensure sufficient supplies of, drinking water across their service regions.
Importantly, the Target Your Water Use program also recognises that each water business faces a unique set of circumstances and a one size fits all approach does not work in all cases. To find out about what else each of the individual water businesses is doing to encourage water efficiency measures, please visit their website or contact them directly.