Water is essential to all life on earth and is needed for our physical health, food production, industry and more.
With climate change and a growing population putting pressure on water supplies, it's important that we all use water carefully and avoid wastage.
Schools Water Efficiency Program
The Schools Water Efficiency Program (SWEP) can help your school find leaks, save water and promote water education in your school.
The program provides your school with data-loggers and an online monitoring dashboard. This enables your school to track water use, detect leaks early and save on excess water costs.
SWEP is an initiative of the Victorian Government and supported by Gippsland Water.
School water audit
Investigate how much water your school uses, discover ways you might be wasting water and identify ways you can start to save water.
Download your school water audit template
Is your school ready to become more sustainable with the way you use water? ResourceSmart Schools is a free program offered by Sustainability Victoria that supports Victorian schools to embed sustainability across the school.
The water module will help your school reduce water costs and save on bills.
ResourceSmart Schools is an initiative of the Victorian Government and supported by Gippsland Water.
Top tips for conserving water
- Limit showers to 4 minutes and install water efficient showerheads
- Use the half flush on toilets
- Only run the dishwasher or washing machine when they're full
- Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth and wash your hands
- Install water efficient appliances and fixtures in your home
- Install water tanks to capture rainwater to water your garden
- Check the weather forecast and only water your garden when needed. Watering is best in the morning or evening to prevent evaporation.
- Mulch your garden
- Put a cover over your pool to avoid evaporation.
Water efficiency videos
Watch a selection of videos from The Water Conservancy about why and how to save water.