Gippsland Water
Gippsland Water logo

Frequently Asked Questions

Got a question?

Frequently Asked Questions

We get a lot of questions about wide range of services that Gippsland Water offers, save some time and take a look if your queries fall within our Frequently Asked Questions. If not covered here, we are always happy to take your call on 1800 050 500.

Understanding your bill

There are a variety of charges for both residential and commercial customers. For a full list of all charges along with an explanation, please visit the Fees and Charges page.

Water bills are issued three times per year. The periods for which they are issued are:

  • 1 July to 31 October
  • 1 November to 28 February
  • 1 March to 30 June

There are many reasons why your water use may increase and decrease throughout the year. Some of these could be due to:


Water use tends to increase over the warmer months, so remember to compare your bill with the same time last year, rather than with your previous bill.

More people in the house

Have you had guests stay over? Extra people in your household will increase your consumption.


Leaks can occur anywhere on your property. They can go unnoticed and can waste a lot of water.

Leaks can be caused by dripping taps, a running toilet cistern, a burst pipe under the house or underground in the garden, faulty appliances including evaporative coolers, solar and regular hot water systems, or new installed, faulty or incorrectly programmed dripper systems.

To check for leaks, take the 15 minute leak test. Write down the current reading on your water meter, both the black and red numbers Ensure all taps in your property are turned off. Wait 15 minutes, then write down the meter reading again. If any of the dials have moved, in particular the red numbers, you may have a leak and should contact a plumber to investigate further.

Watch our video to find out more about your water meter.

The scale of your graph does change depending on the volume of usage you have incurred on your previous bills. It is important to check the scale in which your graph has been listed. This also varies due to the number of days in each billing period.

The tariffs were set through an ESC process called the 2013 Water Price Review. Gippsland Water’s Water Plan 3 proposal was submitted to the ESC as part of this process. The Water Plan 3 proposal outlined Gippsland Water’s service outcomes and obligations, operational and capital expenditure, and the proposed tariffs for the five-year period from July 2013 to June 2018.

Non-connected tariffs

A Water Service Availability Charge applies to all properties in all water districts where the water main passes through, fronts a property, or is capable of providing a service to the property. The Water Service Availability Charge of $88.35 per year applies to non-connected properties.

A Wastewater Service Availability Charge applies to all properties in all wastewater districts where the sewer main passes through or is adjacent to a property, or is capable of providing a service to the property such as vacant land. The Wastewater Service Availability Charge of $406.32 per year applies to non-connected properties.

The Loch Sport Sewerage Scheme project is now declared fully serviced. This means all residential property owners are now required to connect their property to the newly installed pressure sewer system.

If you do not connect, a non-connected Wastewater Service Availability Charge will continue to be billed every four months. Once you are connected, the connected Wastewater Service Availability Charge of $780.96 per year will apply.

A Wastewater Service Availability Charge applies to all properties in all wastewater districts where the sewer main passes through or is adjacent to a property, or is capable of providing a service to the property such as vacant land. The Wastewater Service Availability Charge of $390.45 per year applies to non-connected properties.

Click here for more information about the Loch Sport Sewerage Scheme.

Payment options

Gippsland Water offers a range of payment methods to suit your needs. This includes:

  • Direct Debit
  • BPAY
  • Online payment using your Mastercard or Visa card on our secure Westpac page
  • Centrepay to make regular deductions from your Centrelink payments
  • Easyway payment card if you are in a payment plan with us.

Visit our Other Payment Methods page for full details.

Direct Debit can be set up by completing one of the following:

  • By contacting Gippsland Water on 1800 050 500.
  • Completing an online application form at the Direct Debit registrations page.
  • Completing an application form and sending in to Gippsland Water.
  • Further information relating to Direct Debit can be found in the FAQ section of the online application link.


Water concessions are available to all residential customers for their primary place of residence who are currently receiving a benefit from Centrelink and have either a healthcare card, a pension concession card, or a concession card through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

There are two ways to attach your concession:

Concessions are displayed on the front page of your Gippsland Water bill under the heading ‘Account Summary’.

Yes. We are unable to move your concession to a new residence until the address has been updated with Centrelink, as entitlements are only valid against a customer’s primary place of residence.

For the 2020-21 financial year, you can claim up to:

  • 50% off costs up to $337.10 a year if you have both water and sewerage services; or
  • if you only have one service, the concession is up to $168.55 a year.

Yes. If verified correctly, concession entitlements can be backdated up to 12 months or three bills.


The information required when setting up a tenancy at a property is as follows:

  • Address
  • Your phone number
  • Date of birth
  • Tenants Identification
  • Move in or commencement date

There are a number of options to set up a tenant account at a property:

  1. Visit the Manage Account page on this website
  2. Contact Gippsland Water on 1800 050 500.
  3. The real estate agent or private landlord is able to set up this account on your behalf although they will require the above listed personal details to list on your account.
  4. Request a company to do this on your behalf when completing your tenancy form.

Gippsland Water requires two business days’ notice to arrange a read of the water meter at your current or new property prior to moving in or closing an account.

No. Account numbers are created and are unique to both person and address. If you move, a new account number will be created unique to both you and the property.

No. The only time Gippsland Water needs to know about a change in household members is if this person requires access to discuss details on the account or wishes to be listed as a responsible party on the bill.

Yes. Anyone is able to set up tenancy accounts. However, in order to do this, there will need to be some personal information required. Information required for a tenancy set-up is as follows:

  • Tenants names
  • Tenants phone number
  • Date of birth
  • Tenants Identification
  • Move in or commencement date

Yes. However, tenancies on a commercial property are different and are referred to as a third party agreement. A third party agreement between the owner and commercial tenant is required to say that the tenant will take on the full responsibility of the water charges including tariffs and water usage. However, the ultimate responsibility for these accounts still remains with the owner of the property.

As such, the initial bill will always be issued to the third party customer first. Any reminder or further notices regarding an account will be issued to the owner as the responsible party.

Note – We do not conduct meter reads when a commercial tenant moves in or out of a property.

Connections and disconnections

For information on standard residential connections, please visit the Connections page.

For information on disconnections, please visit the Disconnections page.


No. Stormwater is managed by your local council and is not the responsibility of Gippsland Water.

Waterways and drainage charge

Gippsland Water customers in Drouin and part of Neerim South, west of the ridge, receive an annual Waterways and Drainage charge from South East Water.

The Waterways and Drainage Charge is not related to Gippsland Water’s water and sewerage charges. The charge is a separate charge collected by the local water retailers on Melbourne Water’s behalf.

For more information about Melbourne Water’s Waterways and Drainage Charge, visit their website.

Change of name/ownership

For changes of name in relation to owners of a property, Gippsland Water works from the title as per Land Victoria to determine the name on the account. Name changes can occur for a number of reasons i.e. marriage, death, or sale of a property. For any changes to name, proof will be required to make these changes. More detail is required for each circumstance.

Tenants - Change of name for a tenant account can be done by verbal or written communication.

When purchasing a property, your solicitor or conveyancer should notify Gippsland Water of the sale or purchase of a property and should also include the settlement date. Gippsland Water will lodge these requests and at settlement, Gippsland Water will attend the property to read the meter. Once read, a final bill will be issued to the previous owner and a new account created for the new owner to commence from the same time.

Tariffs for a property are paid as part of settlement of a property. However, any water usage from the previous bill read and the settlement date will be issued out to the previous owner as a final account.


A refund application form will need to be completed and signed by all parties listed on the account. All parties will need to sign this application form or it is unable to be processed.

Please contact Gippsland Water on 1800 050 500 for a refund application form.

Yes. In order to move a credit from one account to another, all account holders where the credit is located will need to provide permission either verbally or in writing to move the credit from their account to another.


Spills of any size should be reported immediately to Gippsland Water via the faults and emergency line on 1800 057 057.

Gippsland Water will respond as quickly as possible to assist the customer and to protect the environment.

Gippsland Water provides assistance with cleaning costs and recently developed a guarantee service level for spills: If a sewerage spill is not contained in a house within one hour then affected customers will receive $500, in addition to our existing commitment to provide assistance with cleaning costs.

Gippsland Water has an obligation to report spills (over a certain size) to the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

Certain events may trigger a public liability claim against Gippsland Water.

All claims need to be made in writing to Gippsland Water providing evidence of the incident.

Dependent upon the type of incident,

Gippsland Water will:

  1. Internally investigate the claim and negotiate a settlement with the individual making the claim or
  2. Have their insurers act on our behalf to manage the claim.

The person making the claim may be required to:

  1. Contact their own insurer first,
  2. Sign a deed of release/settlement.

About Us

Gippsland Water supplies fresh clean drinking water to more than 70,000 customers, and wastewater services to more than 63,000 customers across an area of more than 5,000 square kilometres. It maintains a $1 billion infrastructure network, which includes more than 2,000 kilometres of water mains, 15 water treatment plants, over 1,700 kilometres of sewer mains and 14 wastewater treatment plants.

Read More

Free drinking water initiative

Did you know that you can access free tap water at refill locations across the Latrobe Valley?

Find out more

Contact Us

55 Hazelwood Road, Traralgon, VIC, 3844

Phone: 1800 050 500

Fax: (03) 5174 0103

Interpreter service: 1313 450

TTY: 1800 555 677