Gippsland Water
Gippsland Water logo

Assistance & Hardship

Home / Residential / Your Account / Payments / Assistance & Hardship /

Read our financial assistance options in your language.

Have you been affected by coronavirus (COVID-19)? We’re here to help.

We follow the provisions of the National Cabinet Principles for Support During Coronavirus.

We understand that circumstances may have changed for some of our customers recently.

If you’re experiencing financial difficulties and you need more time to pay your bill, we can help. We can work with you to develop a tailored plan to help you take back control of your bill.

Our customer care program has a number of options to suit your needs and we won’t charge additional fees to access any of them. Through our customer care program, you can;

  • Set up Easy Way payment options
  • Request a payment extension
  • Register a concession
  • Apply for a Utility Relief Grant

To request one of these options online, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  1. Signup or login to our online services.
  2. Click on the '#' icon.
  3. Select ‘request financial assistance’ in the Request Type section.
  4. Fill in the other required information.
  5. Select the 'email confirmation' box if you’d like us to send you an email confirming we’ve received your request.
  6. Click Submit.

Completing this information will help us better understand your situation and allow us to work with you during this difficult time.

We’ll get back to you as soon as we’ve reviewed your request and we may need to contact you if we need further information.

Alternatively, you can call us on 1800 050 500 to discuss your situation with one of our friendly team members.

Gippsland Water has a range of payment options to help you to pay your account.

Extended due date

You can contact us to ask for an extension to the date your account is due. Extensions are granted at Gippsland Water’s discretion and can be flexible to suit your needs.

There are a number of options to make it easy for you to pay your account in smaller amounts at regular intervals. Please see our Payment Options page for this information.

Utility Relief Grant Scheme

The Utility Relief Grant Scheme helps customers who are unable to pay their water account due to a temporary financial crisis.

To qualify, you need to show that unexpected hardship has left you short of money and you cannot pay your account without help.

Examples of such events include:

  • A large increase in water use
  • A recent decrease in income
  • High, unexpected expenses on essential items

The grant may pay part or all of your Gippsland Water account, including any amounts you may be behind in. The scheme will not provide you with ongoing help with your account, as it is normally only available as a once-off.

Our Hardship Policy

We have a hardship policy that sets out how we help customers having difficulty paying their account. We also have a Family Violence policy, which is provided at the bottom of this page.

If you set up a payment arrangement with us, and make payments as agreed, it ensures you do not move through the debt recovery process. We will not restrict your water supply, take legal action or charge you additional debt recovery costs as long as you meet your payment schedule.

As well as the various payment options available, we offer information and referrals to government assistance programs (including the Utility Relief Grant Scheme) and non-cost independent financial counselors.

For more information about these payment assistance options or our hardship policy, read our Customer Care Program Brochure, contact us on freecall 1800 050 500 or email us.


If you have a Health Care, Pension or DVA Gold Repatriation card (except dependants), you may be entitled to a concession on your account. Holders of Commonwealth Seniors Health Cards are not eligible for a concession.

If you are responsible for your water account, you can claim up to:

  • 50% off costs up to $345.50 a year if you have both water and sewerage services; or
  • if you only have one service, the concession is up to $172.75 a year.

For more information on whether you are eligible for a concession, contact the Department of Human Services on 1800 658 521.

How the concession value is calculated

Eligible tenants and home owners who only have a water service, are eligible for 50% off water charges or up to $57.58 per bill, whichever is lower. This means if your usage is $30, you will get $15 off (50% off). If your usage is $120, you will get $57.58 per bill (dependent of days in billing period) off (the maximum available per bill). The maximum rebate for the 2021-22 year is $172.75.

Homeowners with water and wastewater services receive a concession of 50% off both services, or up to $115.16 per bill (dependent of days in billing period), whichever is lower. The maximum rebate for the 2021-22 year is $345.50.

To receive a concession:

  • you must be responsible for the account;
  • the property must be used as a home only;
  • the property must be your principal place of residence; and
  • the name and address on your concession card must be the same as the name and address on your account.

You must register your concession details with us in order for the concession to be applied to your account. You can no longer claim the concession amount by showing your card when paying at the post office.

Register by sending your concession application form to:

Gippsland Water
PO Box 348,
Traralgon, VIC, 3844

Fax: 03 5174 0103

Or visiting our head office at Hazelwood Road, Traralgon with your concession card.

For more information, contact us on 1800 050 500.

About Us

Gippsland Water supplies fresh clean drinking water to more than 70,000 customers, and wastewater services to more than 63,000 customers across an area of more than 5,000 square kilometres. It maintains a $1 billion infrastructure network, which includes more than 2,000 kilometres of water mains, 15 water treatment plants, over 1,700 kilometres of sewer mains and 14 wastewater treatment plants.

Read More

Free drinking water initiative

Did you know that you can access free tap water at refill locations across the Latrobe Valley?

Find out more

Contact Us

55 Hazelwood Road, Traralgon, VIC, 3844

Phone: 1800 050 500

Fax: (03) 5174 0103

Interpreter service: 1313 450

TTY: 1800 555 677